Skip to product information
1 of 1

Blanchester Area Historical Society

1960. Hunter Coffee History Article.

1960. Hunter Coffee History Article.

The Peoples Cash Grocery in Blanchester. was bought in 1906 by Amos Hunter and was co-owned by his son George Hunter.In 1912 Amos started roasting coffee in the store. The product was originally used for local trade but eventually was sold to customers of the store also.

In 1926, Amos' son Virgil Pat Hunter took over the coffee roasting end of the store's business.

In 1929, Pat Hunter, Amo's nephew, start roasting institutional coffee for restaurants, hospitals, etc. He used the upstairs of the East Main location in Blanchester for roasting and blending.

After the sale of the Peoples Cash Grocery to Jack Faris in 1943, the coffee business was moved to the back of the Nicely Dry Cleaners location on Cherry St. After a short time there the business relocated again, this time to a room in the H.G. Bates Building.

In 1948 Hunter Coffee expanded their offerings to include tea and added a complete line of institutional food specialties such as salad dressing and fountain supplies.

The company moved to 209 South Broadway in 1951.

View full details

If you found this information useful please consider making a tax deductible donation.